HomeoNet
October 01, 2014, 08:14:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You MUST login to see most of the boards.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Using KHA Programs on Macintosh Systems After Lion Releases  (Read 19066 times)
Beth Niles
Administrator

« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2011, 01:22:05 PM »

David was always very cautious about discussing his plans and we have similarly learned that to announce something prematurely has a way of undermining everything. It serves no one, least of all the customers and our community of supporters. There have been enough false starts this year already without fueling the rumor mill any further.

We have been working 24/7 ( quite literally) ever since David died to keep the company solvent and attend to all the details that are required to jump through legal hoops, courts, accountants and lawyers etc to render the company attractive to an investor, a buyer or some combination thereof.

Suffice it to say there was a lot of cleaning up to do once we discovered the extent of Steve's ( our former bookkeeper) criminal negligence and utter incompetence and we have done an admirable job in spite of the scrutiny from the community, working behind the scenes to make it even possible to go forward. It has been an Herculean effort on the part of some very dedicated people.

We are currently  in the final stages of serious negotiations with the  interested parties that are required to complete a rewrite for Lion.

No details will be released for obvious reasons until the process is completed, but we promise we will inform you of our plans and time-frame as soon as it is certain.

It is not our intention to misinform or mislead you. Our goals and intentions are the same as yours  and I assure you we are doing everything possible to achieve these goals in the shortest time possible.

Thank you for your continued support and best wishes as we go forward,

On behalf of all of us at KHA,

Beth

Francis Treuherz
General Customers

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2011, 01:38:10 PM »

Thank you Beth
Love from Fran
Happy 2012 to all our readers.
Greg White
Administrator

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2011, 03:39:29 PM »

Thanks for all your hard work Beth et al.

I do hope that the new setup, what ever it may be, will facilitate community involvement.  Recently I was listening to an account of Drupalcon 2010 (Drupal Convention) in Copenhagen.  Drupal is an open source content management system.  While it's open source project, it's originator and founder has control over final commits to the core of the project.  Over 1200 people attended and from the  accounts I heard, they had a very good and productive time.  So there is a great community spirit behind the project, which is very powerful.  That power is derived from many enthusiastic developers.  One such, who I heard interviewed is only 14 yrs old but contributes very useful ideas and code.
Recently Oracle donated the code for Open Office to the Apache Foundation, so that project should now have a vibrant future.
For those who might be interested, they have migrated their code repository from CVS to GIT, which sounds very good.
XCode 4 has GIT support built in apparently.
Suggested settings are here http://shanesbrain.net/2008/7/9/using-xcode-with-git

Susannigg
General Customers

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2011, 02:12:30 PM »

is it very difficult to do it with JAVA - ? works on all platforms - from linux to osx to windows
Francis Treuherz
General Customers

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2012, 09:03:12 AM »

For the first time the process of upgrading to Lion is clear as I discovered the instructions on the KHA website. Silly me. I was being a nudnik.
http://www.kenthomeopathic.com/tech-mac.html
I simply did not notice any directions here to those instructions. They seem very clear. I shall consult my teenage sons and maybe do it.

One thing is not clear. Does one have to reboot each time or can one run both systems at once?

Happy 2012 to all
Fran
Linda Frazier
Administrator

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2012, 08:31:25 AM »

If you use Snow Leopard as a second OS then you do have to re-boot when you switch from Lion to Snow Leopard.

If you choose to run the Windows versions of our programs on your Mac using either Parallels Desktop 7 or VM Fusion you will be able to move between our programs and your Lion system without a need to reboot.

The second option, however, requires the purchase of a version of Windows, and/or Parallels or VM Fusion and also a transfer or dual platform of our programs.

But, thankfully, there are choices.  MacRepertory and ReferenceWorks are valuable to so many Homeopaths and I talk to them daily as they successfully find solutions to keep their programs running in the meantime.  I am grateful for the information they share with us so that we can help others in the community.

Linda
myranissen
General Customers

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2012, 11:08:26 AM »

I went round and round with Apple and a independent technician after buying a new MacBook Pro in Nov. from Apple from the online store. It was supposed Snow Leopard but when I got it it had Lion. I complained and Apple sent me a copy of Snow Leopard. The technician spent a day with Apple Care on the phone trying to install Snow Leopard over Lion and trying to create a partition in Lion to run Snow Leopard. Bottom line - after getting transferred to tier 3 technical support. It is NOT POSSIBLE WITH THE NEW MACHINES. Apparently with the newer MacBooks there is a firmware change that happens with the installation of Lion that makes it impossible to install Snow Leopard. No guarantees with Parallels they told me.

However, I know of a computer company who successfully worked with Apple to put a cloned version of Snow Leopard over Lion on a Mac Mini. Apparently it only works on Mac Minis. Something to consider for home or office not laptops.
Susannigg
General Customers

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2012, 02:39:43 AM »

This is a warning for MacRep users running on Snow Leopard. The recent security update 001/2012 has obviously broken Rosetta. Read this:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57370890-263/rosetta-broken-in-os-x-10.6.8-after-security-update/?tag=mncol;1n
So wait until Apple has fixed this issue!!! Otherwise you have probably problems with saving and printing your cases!!!

update: meanwhile Apple has fixed the problem - read more:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57371552-263/apple-fixes-rosetta-problems-with-new-security-update/?tag=mncol;txt
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 03:57:01 AM by Susannigg » Logged
Globuli
German Customers

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2012, 01:07:13 PM »

Here you will find a tool to fix the problems. After installation MR works well again.
http://www.educate-it.org/content.php?130-Rosetta-Issue-after-Security-Update-2012-001
Francis Treuherz
General Customers

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2012, 02:44:24 PM »

A new version of the security update is there, using Software Update and is named as version 1.1. It seems to permit KHA applications to work OK.
Linda Frazier
Administrator

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2012, 11:55:22 AM »

Yes it seems that the problem has been fixed by Apple
Bev VanHatten
General Customers

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2012, 05:37:10 PM »

I'd like to upgrade to Lion this week to take advantage of their Cloud system.  I also have read that I can connect to my computer and KHA system remotely using Parallels Remote App. with my Iphone or Ipad.   I Have bitten the bullet and purchased Parallels and Windows 7 to create a place for my KHA programs.   I wonder if anyone has done this and is willing to write out that specific process?  Much thanks in advance, Bev 
Vitor Menescal
General Customers

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2012, 11:03:47 AM »

A new version of the security update is there, using Software Update and is named as version 1.1. It seems to permit KHA applications to work OK.
huh... it didn't work for me. After installing security update 1.1 MR refuses to open. RW works fine though.
Francis Treuherz
General Customers

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2012, 12:09:28 PM »

Which version of MacRepertory are you using? Maybe if not the latest do an update?
Vitor Menescal
General Customers

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2012, 10:33:55 AM »

Not running the latest version unfortunately. It took me two days to get MR functioning again - had to restore a 1-month old backup (only lost my iTunes library in the process). Interestingly RW was not affected by that Rosetta issue. That ugly security update made me curse Apple. I hope your "foreign editions Organon collection" is doing fine.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: